A forward-thinking orchestra for the 21st century, we deliver ambitious programmes encompassing four centuries of music. In 2017/18, our total live audience was 170,042, plus an estimated radio audience of 1,250,000. 39% of our activity was focused on engaging who, due a number of socio-economic factors, are less likely to engage with the arts. Together with our Principal Conductor and Artistic Advisor Esa-Pekka Salonen, we are at the heart of British musical life.
The Philharmonia Orchestra's mission is to create thrilling experiences in music, and our vision is to have a transformative impact – live and digitally – upon the widest possible audience. Based in London, we have a significant presence across the UK, focused around our residencies in Bedford, Leicester, Canterbury, Basingstoke and at the Three Choirs Festival in Hereford, Gloucester and Worcester.
Our work with Children and Young People is embedded throughout our artistic, talent development and engagement activity. It is central to our ambitions to contribute meaningfully to the Creative Case for Diversity.
Philharmonia Orchestra aims to:
- Deliver a pioneering and fearless artistic programme
- Open ourselves up to audiences and artists that better represent the communities in which we are resident
- Develop our role as global Cultural Ambassadors
- Be led by a more diverse workforce, overseen by a refreshed governance structure
- Provide support and opportunities to the sector and to the areas in which we are resident
Established: October 1945
Registered Charity Number: 250277
Board members: 9
Full time staff: 36
Part time staff: 7
Phone number: 020 7921 3918
Address: Philharmonia Orchestra 6 Chancel Street London SE1 0UXView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website