Ape Action Africa
Ape Action Africa
We are passionate about great ape conservation in Cameroon, rescuing gorillas and chimpanzees orphaned by the illegal bushmeat and pet trades. Help us to save their wild cousins from extinction!
Wild gorillas and chimpanzees are on the brink of extinction. Habitat loss and poaching threaten these magnificent animals like never before. Ape Action Africa is committed to ape conservation in Africa - protecting Cameroon’s great apes through direct action. Our front line conservation work includes rescuing orphaned gorillas, chimpanzees and monkeys, providing them with individual care, and giving them a safe forest sanctuary home where they can live with their own kind.
Ape Action Africa is based at the Mefou Primate Park on the outskirts of the capital Yaounde where over 100 rescued chimpanzees, 20 gorillas, and over 200 monkeys are kept in large enclosures in the tropical rainforest.
People are important to us too and we work directly with local villages, developing community projects that will benefit from the increased flow of visitors to the area, attracted by the primates in our care. One of our successes is a women's group who make gifts from recycled plastic bags to sell to our visitors, the first time the women have earned money in their lives.
Our vibrant education programme is a key part of our work, reaching out to thousands of children and adults every year. Many of them have never seen a gorilla or chimpanzee until they visit Mefou - it's hard to contemplate eating a gorilla or a chimpanzee after spending time in their awe inspiring presence.
Photo above is baby chimpanzee Cazza, used with kind permission of Primate Handshake.
Ape Action Africa aims to:
- work with the local communities by developing projects that will generate a sustainable income for them.
- work with the government and other NGOs to develop programmes to release animals back to the wild.
- work with the Cameroon government on initiatives to help to conserve gorillas and chimpanzees in the wild.
- work with children in local schools and Yaounde in our thriving education programme, teaching them about environmental issues and introducing them to or animals in the forest.
- provide a safe forest sanctuary to gorillas, chimpanzees and monkeys orphaned by the illegal bushmeat and pet trades.
Established: July 1996
Registered Charity Number: 1057061
Full time staff: 37
Phone number: 07870 682454
Address: Ape Action AfricaGuthrie RdCliftonBristol BS8 3HAView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website