Jacari is a charity providing free home tutoring to children in Oxford and Bristol for whom English is an additional language. Student volunteers from the University of Oxford, University of Bristol and Oxford Brookes are matched with a Jacari pupil and work with them for a minimum of an hour a week on areas they are struggling in.
Our mission is to tackle educational inequality and social exclusion through the provision of free home tutoring from student volunteers to EAL children. We strongly believe in promoting an ethos of community, support and tolerance at a time when integration and cohesion is more important than ever. Lack of ability or confidence in the English language can seriously impact an individual's wellbeing and social mobility.
Though we are founded on the principle of developing children's English language skills, we also aim to promote confidence and peace of mind in the community. Jacari volunteers are taught the importance of building lasting relationships with pupils and their families, and to develop their sessions according to their pupil's individual needs, also acting as a mentor. We believe that by joining Jacari either as a volunteer, friend, pupil or partnering school, you are becoming part of a Jacari family; one that works hard, together with the wider community, to provide a support network to those who need it and communicate a message of respect.
By joining Jacari as a volunteer you will:
- Build a lasting relationship with a Jacari pupil and their family
- Experience Bristol outside the University bubble
- Build and develop valuable skills
- Make a tangible difference to a child’s life
- Help tackle educational inequalities.
Jacari aims to:
- • To increase educational participation and engagement among children in Oxford and Bristol for whom English is an additional language.
- • To increase community cohesion in Oxford and Bristol, by building productive relationships between our beneficiaries and their student volunteer tutors.
Established: November 1956
Registered Charity Number: 1108827
Board members: 5
Full time staff: 1
Part time staff: 1
Phone number: 07957652868
Address: 16 Turl St OX1 3DHView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website
Jacari BristolEnsure the sustained continuation of the Bristol expansion of Jacari from Oxford.