Redwings Horse Sanctuary
Redwings Horse Sanctuary
Redwings is the UK's largest horse sanctuary, caring for over 1,500 rescued horses and donkeys across the UK at centres in Norfolk, Essex, Warwickshire and Angus. We rescue horses from situations of neglect and abandonment, providing specialist veterinary care at our horse hospital to help them recover and lead happy, healthy lives. Rehabilitated horses are rehomed, or enjoy a forever home at the sanctuary. Our welfare, behaviour and education teams work to prevent horses suffering in future.
Redwings Horse Sanctuary was established in 1984 and works to provide and promote the welfare, care and protection of horses, ponies, donkeys and mules. Redwings does not recieve any government funding and relies entirely on donations from the public to carry out its work rescuing and rehabilitating horses, offering specialist Sanctuary care and seeking to educate owners before problems arise.
Every year Redwings takes in around 200 horses, ponies, donkeys and mules in need of help. Many are elderly, have veterinary problems or are extremely nervous, so benefit from the Sanctuary's specialist Horse Hospital and Rehabilitation Centre. Many of these horses will stay at the Sanctuary for the rest of their days and over 1000 equines currently live at Redwings' farms in Norfolk, Essex and Warwickshire. That's a lot of mouths to feed! Those horses and ponies with the potential for a life outside the Sanctuary are re-homed through the Redwings' Guardianship Scheme and more than 500 are currently enjoying life in Guardian homes across the East of England.
Redwings Horse Sanctuary aims to:
- Rescue - Redwings aims to rescue horses, ponies, donkeys and mules from situations of neglect and abandonment.
- Rehabilitation - Redwings aims to rehabilitate rescued horses so they can lead happy, healthy lives.
- Rehoming - Redwings aims to rehome horses and donkeys who have the potential for life outside of the sanctuary, either as a ridden horse or as a non-ridden companion.
- Sanctuary care - Redwings aims to provide expert sanctuary care to its residents and has its own Horse Hospital dedicated to delivery excellence in veterinary care.
- Education - Redwings aims to prevent horses and donkeys from suffering in the future by educating horse owners and the general public on horse care and welfare.
Established: April 1984
Registered Charity Number: 1068911
Board members: 9
Full time staff: 232
Part time staff: 102
Phone number: 01508 481015
Address: Norwich Road NR15 1SPView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website