Since 2007 Facing Africa has done hundreds of facial reconstructions on severely deformed faces in Ethiopia. We continuously visit rural regions raising awareness of the disease NOMA, searching for people with facial deformities and offering complex surgical treatment which otherwise is non existent in Ethiopia. We believe in the importance of skill transfer and work in partnership with local health establishments teaching and training Ethiopian doctors, surgeons, anaesthetists and nurses.
Facing Africa is a UK registered charity that provides complex reconstructive surgery to one of the poorest communities in the world. Our mission is to locate, treat and empower individuals who suffered from the disease NOMA and other facial deformities for most of their lives. We provide free, complete, full and safe facial surgery and give a new hope and life to those who are otherwise condemned to lead a painful and often isolated existence in the rural areas of Ethiopia.
We bring western skills, innovative equipment, modern drugs and provide treatment which not only improves but saves lives in Ethiopia. We strive to raise awareness of the disease and its consequences throughout Ethiopia and create better educated and more tolerant communities.
We believe that our work in Ethiopia is more significant when it creates opportunities to educate, inspire and inform medical professionals not only in Ethiopia but also in the UK. Therefore we pride ourselves to have initiated anaesthetic and surgical Fellowships, and enabled the young generation of western doctors to gain a perspective on the third world, volunteering and acquire knowledge of difficult case management.
We continuously encourage and support our medical volunteers who publish in medical journals and attend conferences to educate wider medical audience of particularities and challenges of providing surgery in the third world setting.
Facing Africa aims to:
- To locate, treat and empower individuals who are suffering from NOMA disease and give them their faces and dignity back
- To raise awareness about the disease and its consequences in Ethiopia, create better educated and more tolerant communities.
- To bring bespoke equipment, drugs and human skills that allow to provide innovative life saving surgery in Ethiopia
- To work in partnership with local health establishments teaching and training Ethiopian doctors, surgeons, anaesthetists and nurses
- To educate, inspire and inform wider medical audience in the UK by using various channels to disseminate knowledge and skills we acquired while working in Ethiopia
Established: January 1998
Registered Charity Number: 1129170
Full time staff: 1
Phone number: 01380 827038
Address: Facing Africa, Seend Park, Seend, Wilts SN12 6NZView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website
Renovation of Cheshire Home facility in EthiopiaTo renovate, upgrade and introduce new safety measures to our care facility in Cheshire Ho... More