Dulwich Picture Gallery
Dulwich Picture Gallery
Dulwich Picture Gallery houses one of the most important collections of European old master paintings of the 1600s and 1700s housed in England's first purpose-built gallery designed by Sir John Soane.
Dulwich Picture Gallery’s mission is to encourage the enjoyment of the visual arts, in the firm belief that access to art has the capacity to change lives. The work at the Gallery resonates with both a local and an international audience, from the very young to the elderly, with a particular focus on those marginalized and isolated by society. The Gallery’s mission is to continue to offer excellence in all aspects of our work and further our role as a leader in the dynamic world of museums and galleries in the 21st century.
The Gallery houses one of the world’s most important collections of European Old Master paintings and is a place of pilgrimage for art-lovers across the world. The Gallery’s exhibition programme illuminates a wide range of subject matter. Unshackled to the blockbuster treadmill, our exhibitions often bring new light and attention to rich seams of art that are forgotten, even unknown to the visitor.
The Gallery’s education department is an acknowledged world leader, providing a powerful social benefit through art. The department conducts courses on the premises and beyond its walls for people of all ages and backgrounds. The aim is to provide art on the doorstep of individuals living in Lambeth, Lewisham and Southwark, boroughs noted for their density of population and containing areas of keen deprivation.
Dulwich Picture Gallery aims to:
- Communicate an understanding and appreciation of the visual arts through scholarship, interpretation and education programmes aimed at people of all ages and abilities.
- Reach and serve as wide a public as possible by raising the profile of the Gallery and making its activities accessible, welcoming and enjoyable for everyone.
- Protect and conserve both the collection and Sir John Soane’s famous building, while maintaining the special character of the site as a whole.
- Promote the best in the visual arts, particularly through display and temporary exhibitions.
- The Gallery’s mission is to encourage the enjoyment of the visual arts for the widest possible audience, now and for future generations to come.
Established: January 1811
Registered Charity Number: 1040942
Phone number: 020 8299 8747
Address: Dulwich Picture Gallery Gallery Road London SE21 7ADView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website
Re-evaluating Modern British ArtDulwich Picture Gallery exhibits famous, neglected artists, like Winifred Knights, and inv... More