The Family Haven
The Family Haven
The Family Haven is a small local charity based in Spa Road, Gloucester, which provides practical help and support to deprived and vulnerable families with children under five.
Established in 1988, The Family Haven’s mission is to help vulnerable families with pre-school children in Gloucestershire to a brighter future through providing a warm, caring and supportive environment where assistance and encouragement is available to help them to improve the quality of life of families in need, particularly the homeless or those living in unsuitable accommodation with pre-school children. Our aims are to empower families to take a greater responsibility for their own well – being, to broaden positive life experiences, to improve the health including mental health of parents and children, to encourage development of new skills for parents and children, to encourage mutual support amongst the families, to improve parenting skills, enabling parents and children to maintain a healthy diet, and to be a viable and sustainable organisation. Families living in B&B or unsuitable accommodation, those with mental health issues, victims of domestic abuse and pre-school children with additional needs – they all receive practical and emotional support.
The Family Haven aims to:
- To encourage development of new skills for parents and children, to encourage mutual support amongst the families, improve parenting skills, enabling parents and children to maintain a healthy diet,
- To empower families to take a greater responsibility for their own well – being, to broaden positive life experiences, to improve the health including mental health of parents and children,
- Occasionally our families have children on the child protection register; we work in partnership with agencies supporting these families with aim of improving the care of these vulnerable children.
- In the nursery we set clear boundaries and have routines so that the children learn to conform. This is particularly important for the children who have behaviour/social difficulties
- We work with the hard to reach sector of society, many of our families live in social isolation & feel excluded from the community. We positively engage with these families & help them to feel valued.
Established: August 1988
Registered Charity Number: 1088622
Board members: 7
Full time staff: 7
Part time staff: 5
Phone number: 01452 422971
Address: 31 Spa Road Gloucester GL1 1UYView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website