Home-Start Sheffield offers a unique service. We recruit and train volunteers, who are parents themselves, to visit families at home who have at least one child under 5.
Families, the building blocks of our society are under greater stress than ever. Many families are struggling under immense strain and impossible pressures- employment pressures, mobility, divorce and poverty, coupled with a weakening extended family.. Home-Start Sheffield offers hope to all families struggling to cope, from young parents without a role model to offer 'parenting skills', to professional parents finding the transition from the controlled work environment to late parenthood difficult.
Home-Start volunteers support families in a sensitive, flexible way. They do not lecture on the 'correct' way to be a parent or make judgements about parenting styles. Instead, they work alongside parents, focusing on their strengths and encouraging them to enjoy their children.
Home-Start Sheffield aims to:
- Specialist support to vulnerable women who have experienced domestic abuse and are in the transition from a refuge into their new home.
- Specialist outreach parenting education work through our partnership with 'Parents as First Teachers' to support parents to encourage their child's early learning.
- Family groups offering support to vulnerable parents from disadvantaged areas, new mothers and women with Postnatal Depression.
- Specialist work with women experiencing Postnatal Depression
- Outreach and home-visiting support to parents with a variety of need across the City
Established: September 1982
Registered Charity Number: 1101167
Board members: 8
Part time staff: 11
Phone number: 01142788377
Address: 86 Upper Hanover Street Sheffield S3 7RQView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website