Scottish Seabird Centre
Scottish Seabird Centre
The Scottish Seabird Centre is a conservation and education charity, dedicated to inspiring people to care for wildlife and their natural heritage. To achieve this, we operate a popular visitor attraction that includes live wildlife cameras and interactive exhibitions, education programmes, public science events and boat trips. The Centre, opened in 2000 by HRH Prince Charles, is located in East Lothian at North Berwick harbour, overlooking the Firth of Forth islands.
Our vision is to inspire people to appreciate and care for wildlife and the natural environment in a fun, interactive, informative and sustainable way.
We achieve this through the following:
• Education: our popular, curriculum-linked education programmes receive consistently positive feedback. We deliver most sessions outdoors; this is of particular benefit to young people who struggle with formal classroom learning, including those from disadvantaged backgrounds.
• Exhibitions/events: our Discovery Centre informs and educates visitors of all ages in an accessible, engaging way e. G. Via rock pool tanks, 3D films and live wildlife cameras. Our Live Science Shows attract 2,000 attendees annually and are especially popular with young families.
• Conservation: we conduct our own practical conservation on the nearby islands and beaches, e. G. Via volunteer-led projects, helping protect our stunning local environment and wildlife
Scottish Seabird Centre aims to:
- To inspire people of all ages, backgrounds and interests to positively engage with wildlife, the environment and preserve their natural heritage
- To provide a valuable education resource to engage, inform and inspire people of all ages about the natural environment
- To provide a valued and respected community asset
Established: February 1997
Board members: 14
Full time staff: 14
Part time staff: 29
Phone number: 01620 890202
Address: The HarbourNorth BerwickEast Lothian EH39 4SSView charity accounts on the Scottish Charity Commission website
National Marine CentreOur vision is to inform, engage and excite Scotland’s population and visitors about our ... More
Plan Green ZeroTo replace all light fittings with ultra low energy equivalents, to introduce organic insu... More
Seal Pups and Seabirds, Wild and Close-upInstallation of remote-controlled wildlife cameras (and associated transmission equipment ... More