Bath Preservation Trust
Bath Preservation Trust
The Bath Preservation Trust was founded in 1934 to protect the city’s unique architectural heritage and to preserve the historic character and amenities of Bath, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The Trust exists to encourage and support the conservation, evolution and enhancement of Bath and its environs within a framework appropriate to both its historic setting and its sustainable future, and to provide educational resources that focus on the architectural and historic importance of the City.
Founded in 1934 as a small pressure group with the object of protecting the city’s unique architectural heritage, BPT’s first action was to fight plans to pull down parts of the picturesque Georgian city of Bath, in England, to make way for a new road. The road was never built. Since this victory, the Trust has saved hundreds more listed buildings from demolition, and has successfully confronted many similar threats to the City.
The Trust exists to preserve the historic character and amenities of Bath, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and the only city in the UK afforded World Heritage Status. The popularity of this beautiful city does have its disadvantages, for there are constant threats to the city’s 6,400 listed buildings, unsympathetic urban intrusions and an increasing threat of development in the city’s green belt. The Trust resists harmful changes to the architectural integrity of the City but supports appropriate new developments. A major part of the Trust’s work is reviewing all planning applications and listed building consent applications submitted to Bath & North East Somerset Council and responding as necessary.
Bath Preservation Trust aims to:
- Participate in the provision and maintenance of museums, libraries, galleries, and other facilities for the public, and the preservation and exhibition of objects for the public benefit.
- Promote high standards of planning and architecture within the City of Bath.
- Promote the education of the public in relation to the history, geography, architectural heritage and other subjects of public interest in connection with the City of Bath.
- Secure the preservation, development and improvement for the public benefit of the character, amenities and buildings of historic, architectural or public interest in and around the City of Bath.
- Protect and preserve public rights of way and the beauty of the countryside around the City of Bath, and to promote its fullest enjoyment by the public.
Established: January 1934
Registered Charity Number: 203048
Board members: 30
Full time staff: 2
Part time staff: 8
Phone number: 01225 338727
Address: No. 1 Royal Crescent Bath BA1 2LRView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website
No. 1 Royal Crescent: ‘The Whole Story’The Bath Preservation Trust has the exciting opportunity to reunite No.1 Royal Crescent wi... More