Working Families is the UK’s work-life balance charity, dedicated to building a future where everyone has the opportunity to find a balance between work and family life.
We work towards this by: directly supporting struggling working families; campaigning, awareness-raising and influencing policy on their behalf; helping employers adopt more family-friendly working practices; and undertaking highly respected and influential research and disseminating our findings.
We help and speak up for working parents and carers, whilst also helping employers create workplaces which encourage work-life balance for everyone.
We operate a freephone legal helpline for disadvantaged and/or vulnerable parents, most of whom are on a low income.
Our Waving not drowning network offers advice and support to over 2,000 parents and carers of disabled children and 1,000 associated healthcare professionals. These families in particular need our support, because the high cost and low availability of specialist childcare, plus the many weekday health and social care appointments that disabled children need to attend, mean their parents struggle more than most to find and remain in flexible, family-friendly work.
Our vision is of a society in which everyone can fully and effectively meet both their work and caring responsibilities, without worry or stress or job insecurity or compromised family time and relationships. This society allows real choice in balancing the interdependent demands of family and work at different life stages and so enables everyone to realise their full potential.
To achieve this, we:
(1) support and advocate for working families and working carers, especially those who are disadvantaged;
(2) promote workplace cultures which support work-life balance and flexible working for all working people;
(3) work collaboratively with employers, policy makers, opinion formers and working people as a pragmatic force for change.
Working Families aims to:
- Enable parents and carers of children and young people, especially those who are disadvantaged, to find and remain in work which suits their family’s needs.
- Change the world of work so that it works for all – parents, carers of children and young people, employers, communities.
- Increase public understanding about and support for the need for worklife integration for families, business and society in the UK.
Established: October 2003
Registered Charity Number: 1099808
Board members: 11
Full time staff: 3
Part time staff: 19
Phone number: 020 7253 7243
Address: Cambridge House, 1 Addington Square, London SE5 0HFView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website
Working Families Legal Advice ServiceWorking families are too often the ‘working poor’. Few know about their rights at work... More