Beanstalk is a national charity that provides one-to-one literacy support to children struggling with their reading through a network of trained Beanstalk reading helpers.
Beanstalk is a national charity that gives one-to-one literacy support to children in primary schools in the most deprived areas of England. Our vision is a nation of confident children who can read and grow up to lead successful lives. We aim to achieve this by working with primary schools to provide high quality literacy support through trained volunteer reading helpers who dedicate their time to give children a brighter future.
Our approach is effective, unique and simple. We recruit and train reading helpers who volunteer their time to support the same three children week in, week out for a whole year, giving each child two half-hour sessions of quality, one-to-one time per week.
We work in the top 25% of the most disadvantaged regions in the country, in areas which see the highest levels of deprivation and lowest literacy levels, thereby ensuring that our support is delivered to those children who need us most.
Beanstalk aims to:
- Ensure that the children we support receive the highest quality service delivering tangible outcomes for their literacy and confidence level.
- Extend our reach to more children in more schools across the country.
- Ensure we are best placed to recognise and respond to the changing needs of our schools and the children we support.
- Ensure future generations of children continue to receive our help by creating sustainability through effective use of our resources and maximised income.
- Place our people at the heart of all we do and develop the organisation to reflect this.
Established: September 1973
Registered Charity Number: 296454
Board members: 9
Full time staff: 17
Part time staff: 71
Phone number: 0207 729 4087
Address: 3rd Floor, 6 Middle Street, London EC1A 7JAView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website
Give the Gift of Reading This Holiday SeasonOver 175,000 children left primary school in 2016-17 unable to read to the expected level.... More