GardenAfrica’s mission is to enhance the relationship between communities and their environment, ensuring that all are left with a sustainable horticultural and botanical legacy.
GardenAfrica is a UK-based not-for-profit organisation that enables people to support themselves, their families and their communities by facilitating horticultural training designed to:
• Grow nutritious food
• Conserve essential species
• Manage natural resources
• Generate income
..... All without dependence on expensive pesticides, fertilisers or hybrid seed.
With increased diversity and higher yields our trainees are able to build a healthy, debt-free future.
Did you know?
A skilled gardener can produce up to five times more than a conventional farmer working land of comparable size. By carefully selecting and layering species which are appropriate for that environment, he or she is able to:
• increase soil fertility
• reduce the amount of water required for irrigation
• alleviate the need for costly synthetic pesticides and fertilisers
• increase the diversity of food for family consumption and trade, and
• spread risk against drought, pests and pathogens.
GardenAfrica applies principals of agro-ecology to train people to manage their resources in ways that are ecologically sustainable and culturally appropriate for small scale production – from schools, clinics and homestead gardens to smallholdings. These are designed for the restoration and management of available natural resources, providing positive livelihood opportunities to improve health, productivity and quality of life.
GardenAfrica aims to:
- Through gardens, we aim to build skills, health and livelihoods, ensuring the continuation of vital botanical and horticultural knowledge through to the next generation of carers and providers.
Established: August 2002
Registered Charity Number: 1141093
Board members: 3
Full time staff: 4
Phone number: 01435 882475
Address: Garden Annex High Street Burwash East Sussex TN19 7HAView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website