Disability North is a user-led registered charity which works with, and for, disabled people to promote social inclusion, independence and choice for disabled and older people and their families in the North of England.
Our Mission: To promote inclusion, independence and choice for disabled and older people and their families.
Our Vision: To be the best resource for Disability in the North.
Disability North are a leading disability charity in the North of England, supporting disabled and older people to live an independent, secure and fulfilling lifestyle.
Whether a disability is from a lifelong impairment, an accident, illness or advancing age, the challenges faced relate not only to managing and adapting to a health condition or impairment but also to the associated financial stresses.
Our expert, personalised support around disability benefits and welfare rights, as well as, hands-on equipment advice services are paramount for overcoming some of the overwhelming and arduous burdens, so that the individuals can focus on their well-being. Our comprehensive and up-to-date signposting service aims at supporting them for the continuation of their journey.
We are also a resource for healthcare professionals and other organisations, providing training, operating a fully functioning Demonstration Suite and organising DNEX, the North’s largest Independent Living exhibition.
We are strongly committed to maintain our service users at the steering wheel of our service and encourage a high participation from members of the disabled community at all levels of the organisation and during service design.
We are at the forefront of collaboration, capacity building and advocacy for disability in the region, partaking in major regional activities and setting up initiatives for in- and cross- sector collaboration.
Disability North aims to:
- Support disabled people in the North to be financially included, access the Welfare system and manage their finances.
- Provide expert, impartial advice on assistive equipment and aids and adaptations for service users, carers and professionals to encourage a healthy and secure lifestyle for the disabled.
- Promote social inclusion through an up-to-date, comprehensive signposting service of local providers of social, physical, leisure activities and education and build collaborations with these services.
- Strive to be a user-led service through seeking constant feedback from service users and organising regular focus groups to advice on service provision. Maintain an inclusive recruitment policy.
- Capacity building and advocacy for the disabled and their rights in the region through partaking in major local initiatives and setting up in- and cross-sector collaboration opportunities
Established: October 1985
Registered Charity Number: 514733
Board members: 8
Full time staff: 8
Part time staff: 9
Phone number: 0191 284 0480
Address: The Dene Centre NE3 1PHView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website