Beat is the leading national charity supporting the 1. 6 million men and women in the UK affected by eating disorders and campaigning on their behalf.
Beat's vision is that eating disorders will be beaten.
Beat provides a range of support services to ensure that people get the expert information, support and encouragement they need to beat their eating disorder. This includes a Helpline for adults and young people, a UK wide network of support groups, onine support and a comprehensive website of information and resources.
The Beat Helpline is a vital lifeline of support for anyone who is affected by an eating disorder, adult or young person, family member or the friend supporting them. Anyone can contact the Helpline for confidential support and advice by email or telephone. It can be really difficult to make that first call but just knowing someone is there to listen and support you without judging can make all the difference.
The Beat network of support groups across the UK also provides a safe place for people sufferering from eating disorders and their families to obtain encouragement and information. Anyone over 18 can attend to share their throughts, feelings and experiences with other people going through the same as them.
Beat relies on voluntary donations to support people affected by eating disorders.
- £10 helps a Beat Helpline Support worker to reply to an email
- £35 helps to run the Beat Helpline for half an hour
- £50 helps to run an online support session for families
Beat aims to:
- Change the way everyone thinks and talks about eating disorders - we raise awareness so everyone understands eating disorders are serious mental illnesses and not just a fad or diet gone wrong.
- Improve the way services and treatment are provided - we campaign and engage with government and policy makers to ensure that the most effective treatment is available to all.
- Help anyone believe that their eating disorder can be beaten - Beat is the first port of call, a first step towards support and recovery.
Established: April 1989
Registered Charity Number: 801343
Board members: 8
Full time staff: 23
Part time staff: 7
Phone number: 01603 753308
Address: 103 Prince of Wales Road Norwich Norfolk NR1 1DWView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website