WellChild is the national UK children's charity making it possible for children and young people with exceptional health needs to be cared for at home instead of hospital, wherever possible.
Over 100,000 children and young people are living with serious illness or exceptional health needs across the UK. Many spend months, even years in hospital because there is no support enabling them to leave. Our vision is for these children and young people to have the best chance to thrive - at home, with their families.
We work towards achieving this vision by:
· Providing practical and emotional support to seriously ill children, young people and their families, enabling them to leave hospital quicker and live life in their own homes.
· Funding projects and research to ensure parents, carers and those who work in the children’s healthcare sector are better equipped to provide support to children and young people with long term, complex healthcare needs.
· Influencing the future of health, education and social care policy to ensure it meets the needs of families of seriously ill children and young people.
WellChild aims to:
- Get children home: WellChild Nurses make it happen – taking the lead and providing expert practical and emotional support to get children and young people home as soon as possible.
- Make homes safer: WellChild Helping Hands is a unique home improvement programme - tackling much-needed garden and bedroom makeovers, creating safe and practical spaces for children.
- Support families: The WellChild Family Tree is a growing network of families from across the UK, all of whom have children with exceptional health needs - providing advice and support.
Established: April 1977
Registered Charity Number: 289600
Full time staff: 22
Part time staff: 5
Phone number: 01242 530007
Address: 16 Royal CrescentCheltenham GL50 3DAView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website