The Gaia Foundation
The Gaia Foundation
Gaia is working with partners across Africa, South America, Asia and Europe, to revive healthy ecosystems, enhance
traditional knowledge and practices for seed, food and water sovereignty, and to strengthen community selfgovernance.
This enables communities to become more resilient so that they can better withstand forces that
undermine their ecological and cultural integrity. Together we work with coalitions and movements, to enhance our
collective ability to bring about systemic transformation
The Gaia Foundation is dedicated to working with a global network of partners, accompanying local communities to strengthen their resilience to deal with the multiple crises we face today – from ecosystem destruction and climate change to unaccountable corporate control and related inequities.
Together we aim to:
- Ensure that the ecological knowledge held by these diverse communities is drawn upon in the international search for ways of dealing with climate change and loss of biodiversity.
- Assist them in resisting further destruction and exploitation of their land, forests and rivers.
- Return full control to local people over what food they grow, eat and sell, over the care of their natural environment, over how they ensure a sustainable life for their community.
Gaia serves as the networking hub: Communicating and collaborating internationally; accompanying and connecting communities; creating learning opportunities and nurturing new talent within the network, to become potent leaders and innovators for a viable and just future.
Over the last 30 years Gaia has raised over £25m for innovative people and actions. At least 90% has been carefully re-granted to activities in Africa, South America, Europe and Asia, where we have supported small pilots and large programs, to pioneer local solutions to climate change and related challenges.
The Gaia Foundation aims to:
- To work with partners to evolve and apply our Community Ecological Governance holistic approach, to build resilience.
- To advocate for just and viable solutions for humans ansd the Earth, and challenge the forces which undermine the mutual wellbeing of both.
- To provde learning opportunities to catalyse transformation and innovation and nurture a new generation of responsible leaders.
- To share good practice and innovation to build up a critical mass for systemic change.
- To strengthen resilience of Gaia and our global network.
Established: March 1987
Registered Charity Number: 327412
Board members: 7
Full time staff: 5
Part time staff: 4
Phone number: 020 7428 0055
Address: 6 Heathgate Place NW3 2NUView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website
Save the Nzhelele River (South Africa)We want to help Vhavenda communities along the Nzhelele River in Limpopo, northern South A... More