Spinal Research is the UK’s leading charity funding medical research around the world to develop reliable treatments for paralysis caused by a broken back or neck.
Every day three people in the UK and Ireland suffer a paralysing spinal cord injury and are told that they will never walk again; their lives and those of their family’s are changed forever.
Spinal Research is here to bring hope to those 50,000 people, and 2. 5 million world-wide, living with a spinal cord injury.
As the UK’s leading charity funding medical research around the world our focus is to find an effective treatment for spinal cord injury that not only improves sensation and movement for people living with paralysis, but brings us closer to a day when we finally conquer it.
Spinal Research was founded thirty years ago at a time when spinal cord injury was considered incurable and few people were contemplating research into repair.
Since then we have funded major research breakthroughs and led important new initiatives to translate laboratory findings into therapies for real people.
With established teams working worldwide, we are now close to developing clinical treatments that will transform the lives of people living with paralysis.
Our vision is that one day it will be possible to prevent and reverse paralysis.
Spinal Research aims to:
- Campaigning for greater awareness of spinal cord injury.
- Promoting collaboration between organisations concerned with spinal cord injury paralysis through membership of the ICCP (International Campaign for Cures
- Funding pioneering research across the world to find effective treatments to repair the injured spinal cord.
- Facilitating the dissemination of research information via our Research Network and associated meetings.
- Attracting the brightest students to enter this field of research through our Nathalie Rose Barr PhD scholarships and our annual Summer School in Neurotrauma.
Established: October 1980
Registered Charity Number: 1151015
Full time staff: 13
Part time staff: 1
Phone number: 020 7653 8935
Address: Bramley Business Centre, Station Road, Bramley, Guildford GU5 0AZView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website