Khorasan is a small charity that cares for children and the poorest families in Afghanistan by providing basic needs, education and skills to equip them for earning a sustainable income.
• To provide education to vulnerable children including orphans and young adults
• To support vulnerable widows and other poor women
• To ensure participation of women in leadership and decision making roles
• To get children off the streets and provide them with education by giving their families support
We ran a small orphanage from 1999 until 2010 and provided medical assistance and a clinic in the refugee camps in Peshawar, NWFP, Pakistan. The children all came from traumatic backgrounds. Some were physically injured, all bore emotional scars from their years in refugee camps, living in the streets or with family members who had no resources to look after them.
Love, care, education and a warm, happy environment with good and plentiful food helped to transform these young lives into happy, well-adjusted children.
Some returned to their extended families, some are now adult and able to care for themselves. Six of the original orphans still live with the founder of the programme and are supported by her from her personal income.
Education has been provided to numerous young people in Faryab and Kabul.
There is a small sponsorship programme whereby individuals elect to provide monthly sums of money to care and education of one or more children.
Khorasan has participated and run single-handedly many projects that help keep children warm in winter, provide medical care and education and empower women.
Khorasan aims to:
- • To get children off the streets and provide them with education by giving their families support
- • To support vulnerable women
- • To provide education to vulnerable children and youth
- • To ensure participation of women in leadership and decision making roles
Established: July 1999
Registered Charity Number: 1081438
Board members: 6
Full time staff: 1
Part time staff: 4
Phone number: 0044 7903067346
Address: Shepway East Lympne Hill Lympne Hythe Kent CT21 4NXView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website
Education for Afghanistan's Street ChildrenThere are about 60,000 street children in Kabul alone whose families rely on their income ... More