Development Nepal works with the poorest individuals and communities in the Sunsari district of Nepal to improve access to education, essential resources and opportunities.
Development Nepal works with the poorest individuals and communities in Nepal to improve access to essential resources and opportunities and to build knowledge and skills through community led education, rights, health infrastructure and finance initiatives. The pattern of poverty in Nepal is disproportionately concentrated on rural areas, and amongst women, children and lower castes. Rural poverty is exacerbated by a lack of education, skills, access to credit, and a lack of alternative employment opportunities. Moreover, levels of poverty in rural areas has been aggravated by Nepal's decade long civil war. As Development Nepal is run solely from the time and effort of volunteers, all of the financial support we receive goes directly on implementing our projects in Nepal. The project has seen marked improvements in the levels of literacy (and other educational indicators), household income, and access to key resources and opportunities.
Development Nepal aims to:
- Education: The overall educational goal of Programme UB is to improve educational ability and attainment of both children and adults in Programme UB communities.
- Health: We aim to improve the health, knowledge, awareness and access to services of the members of communities participating in Project UB in relation to disease, sanitation and sexual health.
- Finance: We aim to create sustainable savings groups and micro-finance initiatives which provide financial security and increased earnings to the people in our communities.
- Infrastructure: We are improving access to water for essential household activities (drinking, cooking, washing), optimising land use and supporting the building of community centres.
- Rights: We are creating a fairer community, whereby fundamental rights are known and respected, and services are received to which Programme UB community members are entitled.
Established: September 1999
Registered Charity Number: 1085199
Board members: 5
Phone number: 020 7099 7445
Address: 49 Penn Road Beaconsfield Buckinghamshire HP9 2LWView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website