2007 Living Heart was established in Peru by Sonia Newhouse from the UK to provide children in highland communities above the Sacred Valley with holistic, sustainable Nutrition, Health and Education.
To empower children through nutritional support, health and education via a collaborative and holistic approach; encouraging the potential within each individual to develop in every aspect of their lives, inspiring values which will help them to become accomplished, centred, discerning adults.
Currently, we provide hot and nutritious food to over 400 school children and abandoned elderly.
We provide the community primary schools with a wide variety of fresh foods rich in essential nutrients, using specially designed recipes to ensure that the children are receiving a nutritionally-varied diet.
Living Heart (LH) provides regular donations of warm cloths to the communities,as well as a basic first aid kit and medical supplies. We organize a yearly itinerant medical clinic with the help of foreign volunteer doctors and nurses. This year we started introducing regular dental care. LH conducts biannual weight and height checks to monitor the growth of the children, and track their development.
LH provides more than 400 school children with basic educational supplies; volunteer teachers to teach art, drama, sports, environmental conservation; lending-library with reading books in both Quechua and Spanish.
LH has Educational Greenhouses, which involve the construction of a large high-altitude greenhouse, provision of farming tools and seeds, regular workshops on organic agriculture and nutritious cooking.
Our latest project will be Children's Home encorporating permaculture concept
Living Heart aims to:
- Educational Greenhouses: Our aim is that every member of the community who wishes to learn how to cultivate fresh, healthy food for consumption is given the know-how, tools and training to do so.
- Improved Health: Our aim is for every vulnerable child, woman and man to have access to basic medications, regular treatment (medical and dental) and a warm set of clothes.
- Improved Education: Our aim is for every primary school child to have full stomach, basic educational materials, bilingual reading books and professional teachers to learn them life-skills.
- To build a Children´s Home in a permaculture concept for orphaned and abandoned children, where they will be treated with love and affection; learn life skills & give back to their communities.
- Nutrition:Our aim is for every nursery and primary school child (plus any abandoned elderly) to receive a hot breakfast and lunch every day of the school year, as well as hygien and cooking workshops.
Established: February 2010
Registered Charity Number: 1134201
Board members: 3
Full time staff: 2
Part time staff: 2
Phone number: 0051973110016
Address: LIVING HEART 2 MELLING BROW MELLING CARNFORTH LA6 2RRView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website