Access All Areas
Access All Areas
Access All Areas is a theatre company for adults with learning disabilities based in Hackney, East London. Our professional theatre company creates award-winning, urban and disruptive perfomances by learning disabled adults.
Our community projects celebrate communication and develop individual performance skills: Black Theatre company, Departure Lounge and Spinning Wheel.
We train actors with MLD on our award winning Performance Making Diploma at Royal Central School of Speech and Drama
To advance the education of persons with learning disabilities, in particular, but not exclusively through the promotion of the arts of drama, theatre, dance, music and related activities, with a view to developing life skills and improving the conditions of life of such persons in Hackney, east London.
Using the power of creativity, we aim to enable those people with a broad range of learning disabilities to be able to develop their social and communication skills and to develop independent life skills in order for each person to live fulfilled lives out in the community. Rainbow theatre company began in 1976 and pioneered the way for people with learning disabilities to become self expressive and create the shows they want to produce for the general public twice per year. Our Spinning Yarn project works with those members who have profound and multiple learning disabilities where touch, movement, music and sensory orientated storytelling, give those members an opportunity to develop their fine motor skills in a safe space.
The Train me Up strand allows those members to gain recognised qualifications in theatre related skills such as workshop leading or technical backstage skills. The Black Cab theatre company is a professional company that promotes the acting talents of the group and produce more experimental performances. This group is open to casting opportunities with members gaining parts on BBC's Doctors and Holby City programmes and the Paralympic Opening Ceremony
Access All Areas aims to:
- To encourage teamwork and positive communication and to build confidence and independence in a safe and enjoyable environment
- To give adults with learning disabilities an opportunity to create and present theatre which is exciting, alive and varied using the combined ideas and skills of the group.
- To give participants the opportunity to learn new skills and have great fun in the process
- To present the group’s work to the public in the theatre at Hoxton Hall, and other theatres and centres where possible, in order to delight, inspire, enthuse, entertain, teach and exchange ideas.
- To promote creativity and freedom of expression through the use of challenging and stimulating activities, enabling the group to express ideas, feeling and views.
Established: August 2007
Registered Charity Number: 1120588
Board members: 9
Full time staff: 1
Part time staff: 5
Phone number: 02076136445
Address: 138 Kingsland Road E2 8DYView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website
Spring BackThe 'Spring back' project works with adults with learning disabilities and socially isolat... More
Hackney Half MarathonThe wonderful Rich Catty is running the Hackney Half Marathon for Access All Areas Theatre... More
Black Cab TheatreBlack Cab is a unique theatre co based in Hackney, London consisting of adults with learni... More