Generation Rwanda (UK)
Generation Rwanda (UK)
We help orphans and other socially vulnerable young people in Rwanda to change their lives by giving them the chance to go to university and take part in a first-class university scholarship programme
Generation Rwanda (UK) supports one of the most comprehensive and high-performing university scholarship programmes in Africa today. The programme prepares the students not only for successful studies but also significantly increases the Generation Rwanda students’ chances of employment in a difficult market. In addition to tuition and books, the programme includes:
• A stipend to cover living costs, allowing students to concentrate on their studies.
• Group housing, which offers an invaluable community and support structure.
• On-going training, including leadership, entrepreneurship, IT and English language.
• Health support (mental and physical), career development and mentoring throughout the students’ studies.
• A comprehensive pre-university training course, including IT and English language training.
We are actively facilitating equal access to university education for women and in so doing encouraging empowerment of Rwanda’s next female leaders. 54% of our students are women compared to a 29% enrolment of women within Rwandan universities.
The Generation Rwanda scholarship programme is local: it employs Rwandan staff, its students are Rwandan and they attend universities in Rwanda. This means that the talent Rwanda so desperately needs stays in Rwanda and that the Generation Rwanda students can build important networks locally.
The students are given the chance to change their own futures as well as the future of their communities and conflict-torn country.
Generation Rwanda (UK) aims to:
- facilitate equal access to university education for women in so doing encouraging empowerment of Rwanda’s next female leaders
- help create a new generation of leaders, professionals and entrepreneurs who can help rebuild Rwanda
- address the lack of university access for highly talented orphans and other socially vulnerable young people by giving them the chance to attend university in Rwanda
- support Rwanda’s effort to pull the country out of poverty and conflict by building a knowledge-based economy
Established: September 2007
Registered Charity Number: 1122687
Board members: 6
Phone number: 07966009073
Address: 72 Kings Road London SW19 8QWView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website
The Generation Rwanda Scholarship ProgrammeBy giving highly talented orphans and other socially vulnerable young people the chance to... More