Scottish Poetry Library
Scottish Poetry Library
The Scottish Poetry is a unique national resource and advocate for the art of poetry, and Scottish poetry in particular. Our library and its contents are open and free to all.
The mission of the Scottish Poetry Library is to bring people and poetry together.
At the core of our service is an extensive lending library, specializing in Scottish poetry and with a generous selection of poetry from around the world.
We run an ambitious programme of events and projects, reaching from schools to care homes, from reading groups to public libraries. This is delivered by poets alongside academics and our experienced and dedicated staff.
Our mission is guided by our values:
Passion. We seek to convey our conviction that poetry can enrich people’s lives on many and varied levels, alongside our enthusiasm for the resources and the services that the Scottish Poetry Library offers.
Imagination. We present poetry to the public in many different ways, through our collections, events, education programme, publications, and our work with partners to produce innovative pairings of poetry with other arts and activities.
Knowledge. We have the professional skills to open up the world of poetry to readers, researchers and writers, through librarianship, educational services, and in an advisory capacity whether on an individual or institutional basis; we promote knowledge of Scottish poetry and poets nationally and internationally.
Openness. We are committed to maintaining the accessibility of our resources, by ensuring that they are freely and widely available, and by providing a courteous, friendly and non-discriminatory service.
Scottish Poetry Library aims to:
- To provide access to poetry resources in a changing technological landscape, for example through our website, podcasts and tweets.
- To nurture creative language and reading skills.
- To provide a unique national resource centre of recognised excellence for poetry, and in particular, Scottish poetry.
- To work collaboratively with other organisations in Scotland, the UK and internationally, to achieve the mission of the Scottish Poetry Library.
- To bring the pleasures and benefits of poetry to as wide an audience as possible through our extensive collection and through our programme of events and projects.
Established: February 1984
Board members: 9
Full time staff: 6
Part time staff: 4
Phone number: 0131 557 2876
Address: 5 Crichton's Close Canongate Edinburgh EH8 8DTView charity accounts on the Scottish Charity Commission website
Poetry and the Year of Natural Scotland - 2013The Year of Natural Scotland is a chance to celebrate our outstanding natural heritage wit... More