Community Futures - Kent
Community Futures - Kent
Community Futures Kent is a community based organisation run by, and with, people who have learning disabilities. We aim to support adults with learning disabilities to live full and active lives.
The charity aims to support adults with learning disabilities to make an active contribution to their local communities and to use mainstream universal services. The charity supports people with learning disabilities to discover and recognise their strengths and connect people to others who have shared interests. Community Futures Kent supports people to be active leaders in their local communities, to be part of community planning and to challenge limiting beliefs about the things that they can achieve in their lives. We actively challenge discrimination and seek to remove the barriers that disabled people encounter in their daily lives. This could be in making friends, mixing with other people, finding jobs or helping the community to become more inclusive and welcoming to everybody. For example by giving feedback to public services on customer care and supporting them to produce information that’s easy to understand and helping people to share their experiences. We look for creative ways to communicate with people who don’t use words this includes using photographs, film and symbols. We believe that every individual is able to communicate, that every person has a dream for their own future and that every single person can contribute with the right support.
Community Futures - Kent aims to:
- Support people to plan for their own futures. We think that people should look forward to their futures and be supported to plan for things that are most important to them.
- Support people to access general community resources. This will help people to get the chance to build their own network of support. This means meeting people and making friends and getting connected.
- To increase the number of people with a learning disability who are leaders. This will make sure that the views and interests of disabled people are included in all community planning.
- To provide easy information. We work with people and the community to support them to write clearly and to use different ways to communicate including film, photo, sound and touch.
- To create new learning, work and social opportunities for people. We will look for ways to introduce people who might not otherwise meet and set up new things where needed.
Established: September 2009
Registered Charity Number: 1135471
Board members: 8
Full time staff: 3
Phone number: 02035350512
Address: The Avenues Group River House 1 Maidstone Road Sidcup Kent DA14 5TAView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website
Making News : Breaking NewsSupporting 18 people with a learning disability to interview and capture on film issues of... More