Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew
Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew
Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew is both beautiful botanic gardens and a world-leading scientific research organisation. From our UNESCO World Heritage site at Kew and our wild garden and Millennium Seed Bank at Wakehurst, we work across the globe with partners in over 100 countries to address some of the world's biggest challenges including food security, climate change and disease.
For over 250 years, the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew has led the world in plant and fungi science.
Today, with hundreds of scientists at the centre of a global network, we are leading the quest to find plant-based solutions to some of the biggest challenges facing people and our planet, including food security, climate change and biodiversity loss.
Our beautiful and historic sites at Kew, London and Wakehurst, West Sussex, are among the world’s most loved public gardens. These are places where plants are cherished and celebrated, and where future generations come to learn.
Kew is unlocking why plants matter, because all of our lives depend on plants.
Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew aims to:
- Preserving Kew's unique historic buildings and landscape, in keeping with its status as a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Educating the next generation about plant conservation, and making Kew's world-renowned gardens and collections accessible, informative and educational for over 1.8 million visitors a year.
- Investigating beneficial uses and applications of plants - whether in medicine, food security, fuel, shelter, regulating the climate, reducing pollution or controlling crop pests & diseases.
- Banking and sharing seeds from the world's wild flowering plant species to ensure the long term survival of plant life, habitat restoration and sustainable livelihoods.
- Conserving and restoring threatened habitats and ecosystems around the world.
Established: January 1759
Registered Charity Number: 803428
Board members: 20
Full time staff: 700
Part time staff: 150
Phone number: 020 8332 3248
Address: The Herbarium, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, RichmondSurrey TW9 3AEView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website
Kew Children's GardenThe Children's Garden is an incredibly ambitious project and will aim to sow the seed of a... More
Kew's Millennium Seed Bank PartnershipProtecting biodiversity through the long term conservation of seeds from 25% of the world'... More
Saving Ethiopia’s precious indigenous plantsOne in five plants face extinction. Kew is saving plants by preserving their seeds in the ... More
Saving the world's most useful plantsGlobally, one in five plants are at risk of extinction. Kew's useful plants project prote... More
Restoring & protecting UK wildflowers at WakehurstTo create a suite of UK wildflower meadows to support pollinators including bees, birds an... More