The Scout Association
The Scout Association
The Scout Association provides adventurous activities and personal development opportunities to over 400,000 young people aged 6-25 across the UK.
The purpose of Scouting is to contribute to the development of young people in achieving their full physical, intellectual, social and spiritual potential – as individuals, as responsible citizens and as members of their local, national and international communities.
Offering over 200 different activities from abseiling and archery to drama, street sports and water zorbing, Scouting helps young people grow in confidence, take risks and achieve their full potential.
The method of achieving this is by providing an enjoyable and attractive scheme of progressive training, based on the Scout Promise and Law, and guided by adult leadership. This method involves young people working in partnership with adults; enjoying what they are doing; learning by doing; participating in varied and progressive activities; making choices for themselves; taking responsibility for their own actions; working in groups; taking increased responsibility for others; taking part in activities outdoors; sharing in prayer and worship; and making and living out their Scout Promise.
Special emphasis is placed on bringing Scouting to young people who currently do not benefit, particularly those in inner cities, those in rural areas and other disadvantaged groups.
The Scout Association aims to:
- A growing movement: We will grow our youth and adult membership by recruiting more volunteers and better supporting our current leaders
- A youth movement: We want more young people to be actively involved in leading Scouting
- A relevant and focused movement: We will strengthen management and leadership in Scouting and raise awarenss of our value to society.
- A sound movement: We will continue to soundly manage our finances and systems raising new income and supporting our staff and volunteers
- A diverse movement: We will increase the number of female youth members and the diversity of people at every level of Scouting, raising public awareness of this
Established: January 1912
Registered Charity Number: 306101
Board members: 17
Full time staff: 241
Part time staff: 31
Phone number: 02084985453
Address: Gilwell Park Chingford London E4 7QWView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website
Christmas AppealThe Scout Association is fundraising for for children and young people in Scouting. We wan... More
Scouting For AllIn 2018 Scouting will be growing, inclusive, shaped by young people and making a positive ... More
Outdoor adventure for allOne of our aims is to offer ‘everyday adventure’ to as many young people (6-25 years) ... More