East End Shed
East End Shed
East End Shed runs children's and youth theatre workshops where everyone is welcome; working in Tower Hamlets we build confidence and aspiration through creating imaginative and inspiring theatre.
“I’ve changed from being scared all the time to being happy. ” Children’s Theatre member
East End Shed believes that theatre can empower everyone to achieve their individual potential by working together. We are a vibrant theatre company where everyone is welcome and important. We work with the young people of Tower Hamlets to build confidence and aspiration through the creation of imaginative and inspiring theatre.
What we do
“The end of term performance made me feel like crying. I was so delighted and proud to watch my usually awkward and shy child perform confidently. ” Parent of member
Through the provision of a weekly children’s and youth theatre and performing arts workshops across the community, we provide a safe space for young people to enjoy and express themselves, learn new skills and let their imaginations run wild. Everyone is welcome regardless of their background, disability or ability to pay – there are no restrictions on who can attend and no auditions.
The sessions are staffed by a team of dedicated, highly trained and skilled practitioners and volunteers (with a high ratio of adults to children in each workshop) who forge trusting relationships with children and their carers.
Working in the borough with the highest rate of child poverty in the UK, we are determined to break down the barriers which too often stop children and young people from fulfilling their potential.
We are East End Shed - Theatre That Empowers
East End Shed aims to:
- To empower children and young people of all abilities and backgrounds to gain skills for life; confidence, self esteem, communication and literacy through inclusive performing arts experiences.
- We are determined to create a space where all children of all backgrounds and abilities are respected, nurtured and empowered; we work to bring down the barriers which stand in the way of this.
- We will build and develop a collaborative, skilled and fulfilled team of practitioners and network of community partners, determined to fulfil our vision and committed to young people and the borough
- We will make vibrant, excellent theatre by promoting creativity, freedom of expression and imagination through the use of challenging activities and skills development.
- We encourage social cohesion through respect - everyone is welcome and important - and through imagination - encouraging our whole team to see the potential in everyone.
Established: November 2003
Registered Charity Number: 1102471
Board members: 6
Part time staff: 5
Phone number: 07790699765
Address: Marion Richardson Primary School Senrab Street Stepney London E1 0QFView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website