We are SafeLives, a national charity dedicated to ending domestic abuse. Our experts find out what works to stop domestic abuse. Then we do everything we can to make sure families everywhere benefit. It works: after getting the right help, over 60% of victims tell us the abuse stops.
Domestic abuse is not acceptable or inevitable - and together, we make it stop.
Our mission is simple - to make sure all families are safe. Our experts find out what works to stop domestic abuse. Then we do everything we can to make sure families everywhere benefit. For example, we transformed the response for high-risk victims by rolling out a system of ‘wrap around’ specialist support from fewer than 500 women to tens of thousands annually - and 60% of high risk victims receiving this support tell us the abuse stops completely.
We know that to meet our goals, and to end domestic abuse, we have to change the whole system: for every member of the family. Through our new strategy, or ‘blueprint’ response, we have widened our work to support the whole family and address key gaps in provision. We are working to:
1. Find every family where there is domestic abuse more quickly, and to help all victims and children get safe, and stay safe in the long term;
2. Challenge perpetrators to stop their abusive behaviour, in order to make victims and children safer and to protect their future partners;
3. Develop a set of new and quality services that fill the current gaps in the system for victims and their children; and
4. Influence policymakers and commissioners, so that the right policies and funding are in place.
SafeLives aims to:
- Develop new interventions and ways of working to fill the gaps in the UK's response to domestic abuse.
- Build on SafeLives' existing risk-led approach.
- Give a platform to victims, and their friends and families, to demand change.
- Use our evidence - SafeLives holds the largest single dataset on domestic abuse in the UK - to convince stakeholders, to get the right public policy and to win sustainable funding for services.
Established: November 2004
Registered Charity Number: 1106864
Board members: 9
Full time staff: 52
Part time staff: 18
Phone number: 0117 4033220
Address: Lewins Mead BS1 2NTView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website