The relief of poverty - through training and empowering local people to perform meaningful tasks, to earn suitable wages and to be able to take a wider role in society.
Tukae trains local people to care for visitors and to produce quality goods for sale, as well as building materials. A safari camp attracts visitors from all over the world.
Tukae is a development organisation working in the East Usambara Mountains, Tanzania. It aims to help people by working with them and finding practical ways of meeting needs identified by them.
Tukae aims: To meet the developmental needs of the people with whom it works.
• training in practical, transportable skills.
• provision of appropriate infrastructure.
• providing access to information and knowledge.
• provision of necessary tools and equipment.
• making available necessary resources.
• interfacing with local and national political and social structures and organisations.
Tukae promotes international and inter-cultural involvement through developing programmes in co-operation with both individuals and educational institutes in Europe.
• Poverty reduces choice.
• If you move people out of poverty they can and will be able to make choices.
• In trade not aid.
• In the dignity inherent in everyone.
• In finding the potential in everyone.
• Development starts where the people are.
• Development is an ongoing process.
• Ordinary people can make a real difference.
• Saying or writing it isn’t doing it.
Tukae aims to:
- The relief of poverty - through training and empowering local people to perform meaningful tasks, to earn suitable wages and to be able to take a wider role in society.
- To advance health provision - through assisting with free transport to hospitals and clinics. Also collecting supplies for health clinic.
- To advance education - through ongoing teaching of English to those working with Tukae, through developing skills for both women and men.
- To conserve the environment - through developing a safari park with emphasis on environmentally sound practices. Also in educating people to look after the environment and to plant trees.
Established: October 2000
Registered Charity Number: 1088468
Board members: 4
Full time staff: 25
Part time staff: 6
Phone number: 01637 874147
Address: 22 Hilgrove Road Newquay Cornwall TR7 2QZView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website